第10章
I sprained my ankle. (我崴脚了。)
How? (怎么弄的?)
I sprained it playing golf. (是打高尔夫球的时候崴的。)
I twisted my ankle.
I twisted my ankle. (我崴脚了。)
Well, I can call for help. (那,我叫人来帮忙。)
你把感冒传染给我了。
I caught a cold from you.
我必须静养。
I must stay in bed. *stay in bed 是惯用说法,“静养休息”。
我肩膀酸痛。
I have stiff shoulders. *肩膀“发酸、发紧”时用stiff来表示。
My shoulders are stiff.
我眼睛发酸。
My eyes are tired.
有谁受伤了?
Is somebody hurt?
我退烧了。
My fever has gone down.
我咳嗽不止。
I can't stop coughing. *cough“咳嗽”。
我嗓子疼。
My throat's sore. *sore“火辣辣地疼”。
I have a sore throat.
我流血了。
It's bleeding.
我这儿割破了。
I've got a cut here.
I have a cut here.
好疼。
It hurts.
我被蜜蜂蜇了。
I got stung by a bee.
我需要动手术吗?
Do I need an operation?
Do I need an operation? (要动手术吗?)
I don't think that will be necessary. (我想没必要。)
Will I have to have an operation?
要花很长时间吗?
Will it take long?
我可以洗澡吗?
Can I take a bath?
Can I bathe?
我可以喝酒吗?
Is it okay to drink? *询问医生能否喝含有酒精的饮料。
Is it all right to drink?
May I drink?
我一定要住院吗?
Should I be hospitalized? *hospitalize “让……住院”。
你发烧吗?
Do you have a fever?
Do you have a fever? (发烧吗?)
I don't know. I don't have a thermometer. (不知道,我没有体温计。)
Do you have a high temperature?
我觉得好多了。
I feel better.
How do you feel? (怎么样了?)
I feel better now. Thank you. (我觉得好多了,谢谢。)
我觉得没什么好转。
I don't feel any better.
I still don't feel well.
你的病好了吗?
Are you alright again? *用于询问别人的病是否康复。
Are you well again?
Are you yourself again?
Are you back to normal again?
他去世了。
He passed away. *比用die要委婉,“去世、咽气”。
恋爱和结婚
●喜欢、爱上……
汤姆是个美男子。
Tom is a lady-killer. *lady-killer直译是“少女杀手”,其实不是杀手,而是指一下子就能迷住女人的男子。
Tom dates around a lot. (汤姆和好多女人来往。)
Tom is a real playboy. (汤姆真是个花花公子。)
汤姆真让我神魂颠倒。
Tom really turns me on. *turn...on“有性方面的吸引力”、“使人着迷”。
Tom really turns me on. (汤姆真让我神魂颠倒。)
I didn't know you felt that way. (我一点儿都不知道你的感觉。)
I'm crazy about Tom.
I have strong feelings for Tom.
I love Tom.
I have the hots for Tom. *俚语。
克里斯长得真帅。
Chris is really a heartbreaker. *用heartbreaker表示“长得很帅,对异性有吸引力的人”。进一步讲,“heartbreaker”是指给异性带来撕心裂肺的痛苦和失望的人,魅惑他人,让人沉醉的人。Elvis Presley (爱尔维斯·普里斯利)有一首成名曲“Heartbreak Hotel”,指的就是“(因恋爱而)绝望的人住的饭店”。
Chris breaks a lot of hearts. (克里斯使很多女人尝到了失恋的痛苦。)
Chris dates a lot of women. (克里斯和许多女人有来往。)
珍妮特真迷人。
Janet is a knockout. *如同拳击中的“knock out”一样,表示极具魅力、使对方晕头转向的人,多指女性。
Janet is a knockout. (珍妮特真迷人呀。)
You can say that again! (颇有同感。)
Janet is sexy.
Janet is beautiful.
他好像看上你了。
I think he has a crush on you. *have a crush on...“看上……”。
I think he has a crush on you. (他好像看上你了。)
Give me a break. (别随便瞎说。)
I think he is infatuated with you. * be infatuated with...“被……迷住,为……神魂颠倒”。
I think he likes you.
简好像喜欢上我了。
Jane seems to like me. *seem“好像,看上去像……”。
I've got the feeling that Jane likes me.
I think Jane likes me.
I have a hunch (that) Jane likes me.
戴安娜对杰克有意思。
Diana's been coming on to Jack.
我不敢打像她那样的姑娘的主意。
I can't handle a girl like her. * handle 表示“对待,对待(人)”。
She's too much for me.
我非常想见到她。
I'm dying to see her. *dying to“忍耐不住地想做某事”。
我想追求她。
I'm trying to make a pass at her. *make a pass at...“(特别是对女性)挑逗,求爱”。
I'm trying to make a pass at her. (我想追求她。)
I don't blame you. ([她对你来说很有魅力,]我理解你的心情。)
I'm trying to pick her up. (我打算把她弄到手。) *pick up 是口语“把异性弄到手”、“勾搭女人”、“追女人”的意思。
I'm trying to get a date with her. (我打算和她约会。) *get a date with...“和……约会”、“约会”。
你也太狠心了。
You broke my heart. *break...heart在恋爱中“使……十分痛苦”,用于甩掉自己的人。
You broke my heart. (你也太狠心了。)
I didn't mean to... (我不是那个意思……)
●约会
今晚有空吗?
Are you free tonight?